HR for Small Business
An Essential Guide for Managers, Human Resources Professionals, and Small Business Owners
"One of the few references geared to the bulk of American business." - Booklist
HR For Small Business explains in simple, clear language what business owners and managers need to know about their relationship with their employees in order to comply with the law and protect themselves and their business from being sued.
The new edition of this book includes everything from recruiting and hiring to discipline and termination and everything in between. Updated legal information has been added on the new minimum wage law that employers must be aware of, the right to privacy for employees, especially in terms of their email, Internet usage, and phone calls, and what employers need to do to comply with disability laws and FMLA.
The appendices in this book include required postings in the workplace, legal holidays, online resources for employers and human resource professionals, a sample employee handbook outline, an employer tax calendar, and a complete glossary of terms.
"Absolutely indispensable for anyone in business." - Edie Fraser, President, Public Affairs Group, Inc., an iVillage Company
- Interview questions
- Reference checks
- Benefits and taxes
- Leave policies
- Unemployment insurance
- Privacy and confidentiality
- Employment discrimination
- Sexual harassment
- Workers' compensation
- Telecomuting and job-sharing
Employees are your greatest asset. However, the days when employee matters were simple are gone. To keep your business running successfully, you need a guide through the many issues facing employers today.
Charles Fleischer, successful attorney, lecturer, and author, makes this complex area of the law easy to understand. His practical advice answers the questions you have, such as:
- What steps do I take in the hiring process?
- How can I use performance evaluations as a productive tool?
- How can I cut overtime expenses?
- How can I control costs and still offer attractive retirement and health insurance benefits?
- How do I make a clean termination?
- How do I protect myself against discrimination claims?
- What types of insurance must I carry?
- How long must I hold a position for someone on maternity, military, or other leave?
Start building a stronger workforce today.
Series that include this title