Jane Brody's Guide to the Great Beyond
A Practical Primer to Help You and your Loved Ones Prepare Medically, Legally, and Emotionally for the End of LifeBook - 2009
An invaluable road map to putting your affairs in order-or helping your loved ones do the same-this comprehensive book will answer every question you might have about what does and does not help smooth the transition between life and the Great Beyond. Wise, practical, and characteristically straightforward throughout, Brody advises on
• the intricacies of a well-thought-out (and fully spelled-out) living will that health care practitioners readily understand-and how to designate a health care proxy.
• planning a funeral or memorial to ensure your wishes are followed, including tips on how to reduce expenses.
• discussing prognoses and treatment options with doctors.
• your options for controlling pain, shortness of breath, bed sores, and other physical symptoms-plus the facts on feeding tubes.
• receiving the support you need through hospice care-and suggestions for loved ones and friends who want to help.
• lightening and enlightening your trials by incorporating spirituality into your life.
• understanding what happens, physically and mentally, when death is imminent, and recognizing when hand-holding and reassurance, not food or drink or an oxygen mask or CPR, is the proper course of action.
• easing your way through the journey of grief by admitting the reality of the loss, showing your emotions, and allowing yourself the time you feel you need.
No matter your age or current health, preparing for the inevitable when you are still fully in control of your faculties ensures that you'll be in a far better position to enjoy the time you have left. As Brody notes, "From the start, consider the finish."
From Library Staff
multcolib_Health Dec 19, 2014
For decades, Jane Brody has been our trusted guide to good health. Now she brings her research and organizational skills, as well as her personal stories, to the topic of death and dying. If your bookshelf could contain only one book on the subject, this one would be a superb choice.
multcolib_Health Aug 07, 2014
"Preparing for the end of life goes far beyond willing your estate to those you love or signing an organ donor card or picking out a burial plot. And for those millions of people who will have to help their parents and other relatives and friends exit gracefully from this life, preparation g... Read More »